Seven is the magic number in orthodontics.
Most kids won’t need treatment this early, and they’ll simply come in for occasional growth and development check-ups until the time is right. But if we do spot certain red flags, being proactive and intervening early can set children up for a healthier, more easily treated smile in the future.
What are the goals of early orthodontic treatment?
During early treatment, also called phase 1 orthodontic treatment, Dr. Clark and Dr. Talley can:
- Guide your child’s jaw growth to help the permanent teeth come in nice and straight
- Regulate the width of the upper and lower arches to improve the way the top and bottom teeth meet
- Create more room for crowded teeth
- Correct oral habits like thumb sucking and improve minor speech problems
- Make phase 2 treatment much easier and more predictable
- Help kids avoid the need for permanent tooth extractions or corrective jaw surgery later in life
What are some signs that my child should see an orthodontist?
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty biting or chewing food
- Mouth breathing
- Oral habits like finger or thumbsucking or tongue thrust
- Popping or clicking sounds when opening and closing the jaw
- Upper and lower teeth that don’t come together correctly or don’t meet at all
- Misplaced, crowded or blocked teeth
- Jaws and teeth that aren’t proportionate to the rest of the face
- Crowded front teeth at around age 7 or 8
It’s not always easy to tell if a child needs early orthodontic treatment just by looking at them. An orthodontist is trained to identify subtle signs of issues before they evolve into full-blown problems. Put your child on the path to smile success by scheduling an evaluation with us today!
Schedule your complimentary consultation today!
Every beautiful, confident smile we create starts with a consultation. Schedule an exam for you or your child at our boutique orthodontic practice today! We are conveniently located in Tenleytown, DC with easy access to the Tenleytown-AU metro station, bus stops and street parking.
4110 River Road NW
Washington, DC 20016